American ghost stories : true tales from all 50 states / Michael A. Kozlowski.
- ISBN: 9781578597994
- ISBN: 1578597994
- ISBN: 9781578598359
- ISBN: 1578598354
- Physical Description: xix, 252 pages : color illustrations ; 23 cm
- Edition: First edition.
- Publisher: Detroit : Visible Ink Press, 
- Copyright: ©2024
|Bibliography, etc. Note:||
Includes bibliographical references.
|Formatted Contents Note:||
Foreword -- Introduction -- Southwest shockers.The Bird Cage Theater, Tombstone, Arizona ; Pavla Blanca (Manuela): Tularosa Basin, New Mexico ; Bragg Road: Hardin County, Texas -- Pacific panic. The Rucker House: Everett, Washington ; Shanghai Tunnels: Portland, Oregon ; Winchester House: San Jose, California -- Restless Rockies. Henry Plummer/Dorothy Dunn: Bannack, Montana ; Idaho State Tuberculosis Hospital: Gooding, Idaho ; The headless bride: Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming ; The Old Washoe Club, Virginia City, Nevada ; The purple lady: Salt Lake City, Utah ; Riverdale Road: Thornton, Colorado -- Paranormal Plains. Harvey Library, Harvey, North Dakota ; Sica Hollow; Lake City, South Dakota ; The City of Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska ; Sallie, the heartland ghost: Atchison, Kansas ; Skirvin Hotel: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma -- Midwest malevolence. First Avenue Club: Minneapolis, Minnesota ; The Pfister Hotel: Milwaukee, Wisconsin ; Lucinda: Burlington, Iowa ; The Lemp Mansion: St. Louis, Missouri ; Congress Plaza Hotel: Chicago, Illinois ; Edna Collins Bridge: Greencastle, Indiana ; Ceely Rose: Pleasant Valley, Ohio ; Minnie Quay: Forester, Michigan -- Shadowy Southeast. Blennerhasset Island: Parkersburg, West Virginia ; Grace Sherwood: Virginia Beach, Virginia ; Highway 365: Woodson, Arkansas ; Bobby Mackey's Music World: Wilder, Kentucky ; The Loretta Lynn Ranch: Hurricane Mills, Tennessee ; USS North Carolina: Wilmington, North Carolina ; St. Augustine Lighthouse: St. Augustine, Florida -- Deep South dread. LaLaurie Mansion: New Orleans, Louisiana ; McRaven (The Bobb House): Vicksburg, Mississippi ; Maple Hill Cemetery: Huntsville, Alabama ; Old Charleston City Jail: Charleston, South Carolina -- Mid-Atlantic mysteries. The lady in white (Devil's Elbow): Owego, New York ; Shades of Death Road: Warren County, New Jersey ; Betsy Ross House: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania ; Woodburn Mansion: Dover, Delaware ; Demon truck of Seven Hills Road: Ellicott City, Maryland ; Lake Lanier: Buford Georgia -- New England nightmares. Black Agnes: Montpelier, Vermont ; Eunice "Goody" Cole: Hampton, New Hampshire ; 966 Lindley Street: Bridgeport, Connecticut ; Mercy Lena Brown: Exeter, Rhode Island ; Giles Corey: Salem, Massachusetts ; Nelly Butler: Sullivan, Maine -- Otherworldly outliers. Haunted high schools: Alaska ; The night marchers: Hawaii.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Ghosts > United States.
Haunted places > United States.
- 0 of 2 copies available at Kenton County.
- 0 current holds with 2 total copies.
- Perseus Publishing
Take an eerie road trip! A chilling collection of true ghost stories spanning every state in the United States with a full range of ghostly manifestations and haunted locations!
From sÃ©ances to shiny graveyards, take a ghostly journey across the United States. Visit the highways and byways of the supernatural across the country and in each state in the union. American Ghost Stories: True Tales from All 50 States tours possessed houses, unearthly burial sites, forbidding farms, sinister forests, school bathrooms, and all manner of places haunted by spectral visitors, including â¦
- Sullivan, Maine, and Nelly Butler, Americaâs âfirst ghost.â
- Wilder, Kentucky, and Bobby Mackeyâs Music World, which was originally built as a slaughterhouse and then served at various times as a honky-tonk, bingo hall, biker bar, and cocktail lounge before becoming a direct portal to Hell.
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and The Pfister Hotel, where every U.S. president since William McKinley stayedâas did Elvis Presleyâand its weird noises, flickering lights, malfunctioning electronics, and moving objects.
- Exeter, Rhode Island, and Mercy Lena Brown, the vampire ghost that was caught on a YouTube video.
- San Jose, California, and the maze-like Winchester House, which was allegedly designed to confuse ghosts that haunted the original owner â¦ and have continued to haunt people ever since.
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and the Skirvin Hotel, the historic Art Deco hotel, former speakeasy, and location of several gunfights that is haunted full time by Effie, a Prohibition-era chambermaid.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and the numerous sightings at the Betsy Ross House.Â
- Huntsville, Alabama, and the Maple Hill Cemetery, the internment site for governors, U.S. senators, representatives, and soldiers that is the site of â¦ a playground!
- Tularosa Basin, New Mexico, and Pavla Blanca, the woman in white roaming the dunes of the White Sand National Monument.
- And many more paranormal experiences, poltergeists, residual hauntings, curses, witches, prisons, bridges, mental institutions of an America plagued with spirits, phantoms and ghosts!
More than merely a collection of 50 true ghost stories, American Ghost Stories puts you in the middle of the eerie action with captivating stories that would be at home at any midnight campfire. The only difference is that these stories aren't urban legends or fantasies meant to scare you. These stories live right next door to every one of us. We suggest you donât read them when you are home alone and the lights begin to flicker!